The AAAE mission is to represent member national professional teacher associations, so that the voice of the teachers and educators they represent are heard by the appropriate statutory authorities and governments for the improvement of Australian educational policy and practice. Such representation is to be in consultation with and approved by AAAE member associations who see the matter in question as relevant to their area of interest and/or responsibility.
AAAE pursues these objectives by:
- providing a forum through which national professional teacher associations can exercise a critical appraisal of developments in the Australian education agenda
- developing and promoting positions on education issues in Australia
- representing member associations on policy development bodies, at forums and through direct negotiation with jurisdictions at the national and state level
- providing representative input and feedback to the appropriate statutory authorities and jurisdictions
- providing a voice for the teaching profession on professional matters
- developing the capacity of national professional teachers’ associations to respond to national policy issues, initiatives and directions
- sharing discourse and evidence-based research on education
- providing high quality professional learning and resources in consultation with and agreement from relevant member associations
- being a conduit between professional teacher associations, the media and jurisdictions where this does not conflict with the interests of members
- promoting communication and collaboration between member associations.